History Matters! You will be proud to know that Fairview School, which educated African Americans, is a newly designated historic site in Georgia. I am honored to share this press release in its’ entirety.
Fairview School Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Fairview School is an approximately 3.5-acre campus located on Padlock Mountain Road, about one-half mile east of downtown Cave Spring. The property consists of a circa-1945 former classroom building, plus the remnants of other school buildings and structures that were constructed on multiple terraces on steep, previously cultivated agricultural land.
Fairview School was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as significant in the areas of ethnic heritage (African American) and education, as a rare example of an entire African American school campus constructed before the landmark 1954 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. Board of Education. It is the only remaining property of this type surviving in Cave Spring. The initial three-teacher classroom building (not extant) was constructed in 1924-1925 with funding provided by the Rosenwald Fund, a philanthropic organization founded by Julius Rosenwald and Booker T. Washington. The property was deeded to the Floyd County Board of Education by local residents.
The school also has an association with the prominent Chubb family, of Cave Spring. The Chubb family is significant because of their rarity and self-sufficiency as a free black family in Georgia prior to the Civil War. The Fairview School expanded to accommodate a growing student body, and three additional buildings were constructed on the campus in the 1940s. Of these, only the first-grade classroom building is extant; however, the foundations and chimney remnants of the three other classroom buildings remain, and their sites have produced material significant to understanding the development and use of the property as a whole. Additionally, the property is significant for historic archaeology due to the property’s ability to reveal information significant about the past. Artifacts recovered from the property include historic ink and medicine bottles, students’ supplies, and building materials that can inform archaeologists about the buildings and the daily lives of the student body.
The National Register of Historic Places is our country’s official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal recognition of a property’s architectural, historical, or archaeological significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes, and insures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax incentives, and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
The Historic Preservation Division (HPD) of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources serves as Georgia’s state historic preservation office. Its mission is to promote the preservation and use of historic places for a better Georgia. HPD’s programs include archaeology protection and education, environmental review, grants, historic resource surveys, tax incentives, the National Register of Historic Places, community planning and technical assistance.
The mission of the Department of Natural Resources is to sustain, enhance, protect and conserve Georgia’s natural, historic and cultural resources for present and future generations, while recognizing the importance of promoting the development of commerce and industry that utilize sound environmental practices.
# # #
The above is a news release from the Historic Preservation Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
Releases can be found online at www.georgiashpo.org.